It's all about tomatoes
To make this beautiful salad run to your favourite farmers market shop and go and grab some of these beauties.
When I was younger, I didn't really like tomatoes. I did eat them, but it didn't make me happy when they ended up on my plate. Until one day I discovered real tomatoes, no boring supermarket tomatoes, but real organic crazy full of flavour and coloured tomatoes.
Old varieties of tomatoes make me so enthusiastic that when the tomato season starts, I make a trip to the local farmers market shop every Sunday to stock up on my tomato stash for the coming week. These are my babies, I make sauce with them, put them on toast with goat cheese or as a vegan variant with cashew cream.
But my favourite is still a good old tomato salad, with a herbal dressing, some edible flowers, hemp seed. And the nice thing is that you can vary endlessly. Play with the colour, taste, shape and be inspired by my recipe. Have fun. And enjoy every tomato moment, the season is almost over.
Scroll down for a simple, but delicious tomato salad recipe
- Mix of whole food tomatoes
- 2 stalks of spring onion finely sliced
- 1/2 tsp of lemon juice or more to taste
- 1 clove of garlic
- 2 tsp of fresh grated ginger
- Handful of fresh herbs like, oregano, basil
- Olive oil
- Edable flowers, I used citrus marigolds
- 1 tsp Hemp seeds
- Salt & pepper
- Combine the garlic, spring onions, fresh ginger, lemon juice and fresh herbs in a mortar or blender.
- Season with salt and pepper and finish with a generous amount of olive oil.
- Cut the tomatoes into pieces. There are no rules and it doesn't have to be perfect, play with the shapes of the tomatoes. When assembling the salad, play with the colour of the tomatoes.
- Assemble a playful tasty salad, which you finish with the herb dressing, edible flowers, extra olive oil, herbs, some lemon zest and hemp seeds
TIP: If you have trouble to digest raw garlic (like me), cook the garlic for a few minutes until it is soft. This way it is much softer and easier to digest